Saturday, August 9, 2008

Vampire Knight Vol. 3 by Matsuri Hino

Main Character: Yuki Cross, school guardian at Cross Academy
Location: undefined
Time period: Contemporary
Genre: YA Manga, Fantasy, Vampires

We get a lot of back-story in this volume. I was surprised to learn that the Night Class has been included at Cross Academy for only about 2 or 3 years--I had assumed that it was a long-standing tradition. Kaname was the one who brought Yuki to the Headmaster when he saved her from the vampire that night in the snow 10 years ago. After that, he visited her every year. Since she could not remember anything about her life before that night, the anniversary became the day when they would celebrate her birthday.

A new student arrives to join the Night Class. Yuki is assigned to show her around and she seems very friendly, but there is something very off about her. Could she be somehow connected to the woman who destroyed Zero's family?

I'm still not feeling the love for this series, though I can see why it would appeal to some. The melodrama is just too heavy-handed for my tastes, and I'm not sure I will continue to read it.

No comments: