Thursday, August 7, 2008

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Main Character: Bella Swann Cullen
Location: Pacific Northwest
Time period: Contemporary
Genre: YA Fiction, Fantasy, Supernatural, Vampires
Series: Twilight, Vol. 4

Be warned--there are spoilers here. I tried to write an entry without spoilers, but it was basically "I read it; I liked it." To really discuss things, I do have to reveal a few things--I'll try to keep them to a minimum.

I have to admit, I really like Jacob. I kinda like Bella, though I find her a little annoying at times. Does she really have to get angry at everyone all the time? And Edward is pretty, but Edward is an enigma. I don't think we ever really get to know him. But Jacob--he wears his heart on his sleeve. And I'm a sucker for an underdog and an unrequited loved story. I'm not saying I wanted Bella to choose Jacob. What I really wanted from this book is a happy ending for Jacob--and I got it, to a certain extent.

There was a point when I thought the book was going in a certain direction. We had Bella's vampiric powers just amazing everyone--her self-control that kept her from going on a blood-lust rampage. We have a hint of why Edward has never been ever to hear Bella's thoughts. Then there was the child who has her own power and is unique in the world and binds everyone who meets her. I really thought we were going to find out that there was an ancient prophecy that they were fulfilling without even knowing it. Well, I was wrong. But there is still something there that could possibly lead to another story. I would love to see a Jacob-centric spinoff.

Of course, life cannot be all peaches and cream for Bella and Edward, and circumstances draw the attention of the Volturi, who have basically just been waiting for an excuse to knock off the Cullen family. Forces are gathered and soon we are on the verge of total annihilation. Some commenters have been disappointed that there wasn't an epic battle, but we did that in the last book. I really enjoyed this stand-off which had plenty of threat, anticipation, suspense--but it was a war of words, not swords. It made me think of a really good court-room drama--or maybe it was the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Really, the only thing I really did not like was the child's name--what an ugly, awkward name. No wonder everyone called her by her nickname.

No comments: