Saturday, March 29, 2008

Dragon Harper by Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey

Main Character: Kindan, a harper apprentice
Location: The planet Pern
Time period: sometime in our future, but Pern's past
Genre: Fantasy, Dragons

I have enjoyed the Dragons of Pern series since I first read Dragonflight way back when. I lost track of it after 1998's Masterharper of Pern and somehow missed the new books written with Todd McCaffrey. (On the plus side, I now have a new stack of books to look for and read.)

Since I have obviously missed a few titles, I had some trouble placing this book within the chronology of Pern. Obviously it takes place before the original stories but is it before or after Moreta's Ride and Nerilka's Story? Like those two books, this one deals with a flu-like pandemic which decimates the population.

One of the things that makes this series so enjoyable is how it has created this world that has a vast population and multiple locations as well as a rich history. Pivotal events are seen from many different points of view, and sometimes we get to go back into the past to see the real events behind a future legend or enigmatic song.

No comments: