Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Main Character: High school student Clay Jensen
Location: Undefined
Time period: Contemporary
Genre: YA Fiction

Clay Jensen comes home from school to find a package addressed to him. Inside is a set of audio cassettes tapes. He has to dig in the garage to find a player, but when he begins to listen he is stunned by what he hears:

Hello, boys and girls. Hannah Baker here. Live and in stereo. I hope you're ready, because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to these tapes, you're one of the reasons why.

The story unfolds slowly, relentlessly. As each tape reveals more of the story the inevitable question is why is Clay on this list? What did he do that was so terrible? I don't want to say much more because I don't want to spoil anything, but this was an incredible, heartwrenching story of a suicide--what was done to cause it, and what wasn't done to prevent it.


No comments: